TEDxKL 2014

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Last Saturday, on the 9th of August 2014, I was invited to an amazing global talk show event called TEDxKL as a part of the supporting partner of the event under my company, MilkADeal Sdn Bhd. Thanks to TEDxKL and MilkADeal Sdn Bhd for I was given the opportunity to attend the event and not to forget, a great seat too!

I was given three admission passes, but I couldn't split myself into three right? So, I brought along both of my friends who are staying in Bukit Jalil.

The event was held at Calvary Convention Centre, just a few miles away from Bukit Jalil LRT Station. There was a free shuttle bus service provided by the organizer, thus I was not worried about my transportation for going back and forth during the event.

So, What is TED?

"TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California 26 years ago, TED has grown to support those world-changing ideas with multiple initiatives. At TED, the world’s leading thinkers and doers are asked to give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. Talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Benoit Mandelbrot, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. Two major TED events are held each year: The TED Conference takes place every spring in Long Beach, California (along with a parallel conference, TEDActive, in Palm Springs), and TEDGlobal is held each summer in Edinburgh, Scotland.
TED’s media initiatives include TED.com, where new TEDTalks are posted daily; the new TED Conversations, enabling broad conversations among TED fans; and the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as the ability for any TEDTalk to be translated by volunteers worldwide.
TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world are given the opportunity to put their wishes into action; TEDx, which offers individuals or groups a way to host local, self-organized events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to become part of the TED community and, with its help, amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities." -TED

What is TEDxKL?

"Our event is called TEDxKL, where x = independently organized TED event. At our TEDxKL event, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events, including ours, are self-organized." - TEDxKL

By the time I reached at Calvary Convention Centre, It was already 1120 in the morning. The bus coordinator told us that we were a little bit late and it was almost the time for lunch break. They then briefed us with the location details and told us to be at the registration counter to get our tags.

On my way to KL Sentral to take the LRT to Bukit Jalil. The taxi fare were only RM1 because I used the discount code. lolol 

Selfie while waiting for the train to arrive at Hang Tuah's LRT Station.

Another one. lol

Random shot of the railway. lol

Met them, Imulok(Middle) and Imelda. I invited them to join me on that day :D

In the provided shuttle bus. Hehe :P

One with Imulok. :D

Once I reached at Calvary Convention Centre and when the moment I entered the gate, I saw this HUGE Banner gate standing proudly in front of me. So, what else? Posing time! LOL.

Hahahahahah! look so "yong sui" 

Okay, another one. Peace!

To be honest, I didn't know I will be getting the VIP seats because I thought my name was registered as a participant, but I was wrong. When I was finding for the registration counter, one of the crew member asked me whether I am under the sponsors/Media or individuals and of course I say Individual la right? (because I really don't know T_T).   He then shown me the way to the individuals registration counter. When I walked to the counter, the receptionist asked me to write down my name on a piece of paper so she could check my name on the list, but then she told me that my name was not listed! I was panicking like "what? what? what? noooo Impossible." -.- 

Then I told them my name was registered under MilkADeal and so they clarify to me that I was under the Sponsorship section. They asked me to go to the other side of the counter which was on the left (quite a distance :P), and they apologized. Such politeness. (Y) 

And yeah, I got my Goodies file and Tag :D 

On my way going into the Auditorium. Look at the ceiling, it's like the shining light from heaven. LOL.

and when I entered the auditorium,

WOAHHH. 
Amazed by the crowds! 

So, the morning session has ended and we are heading for lunch. But before that, A selfie. :P

One with Imulok and Imelda.

On our way to the banquet hall. 

I don't know why, but this picture make me feels like I was just finished with my morning class and heading to the cafeteria for lunch. LOL. 

And here, I Look like a student. LOL. Well, I am a student anyway. :P
 Oh, And photobombed by Imulok. Hahaha!

Because of the massive long lines and I am too lazy to line up lol, I sat down and look into the file that was given during my registration. The file was filled with discounts vouchers. advertisement pamphlets and a TEDxKL event book. 

Can you see MilkADeal right over there? :P

After lunch, we headed back to the Auditorium for the second sessions by another 6 presenters. This time, I am able to found seats in the most front row from the VIP/Partners Section.

While waiting for the second slot. :P

TEDxKL standing proud on the stage. 

Talk presented by Ann Khoo with her talk titled, Life's a Tick. She was a fair workplace advocate and was diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome since the age of nine. Her talks make me shed some tears as it touches my heart. 

One of the presenter that I enjoyed hearing the talk, Dr. George Lee. He's an Urologist and his talk was hilarious indeed! :D  

Dr. Angelica Lim, a robotic scientist. I like the reason of hers describing on programming the emotional empathy into the robots so they could feel us when we were sad, happy, etc. 

Random shot while waiting for the next presenter.

One of my favourite, Mr. Dennis Lau, A violin Virtuoso. I am really impressed by people who can play the violin, because I am so in love with violins! But I couldn't play it. lol. -.-

HAHAHA. Selfie during the Tea Break.

Got the chance to take a picture with Dr. George Lee taken during the break time :D

Magdalene Ho, A Piano Prodigy. She was the youngest presenter in TEDxKL 2014. 

TEDxKL was then ended with a magnificent magic show by Zlwin Chew.  After the show, we were heading to the banquet again for dinner before heading back home. 

Portraits Art by JoongWon Jeong.

Sketch post of Ann Khoo

Sketch post of Dose two.

Sketch post of Prof. Balbir Singh and Magdalene Ho.

Okay. Failed posing. LOL.

The provided dinner by TEDxKL. The fish ball so spicy eh D: 

with Mr. Dennis Lau. LOL. I look weird here with my half closed eye -.- or maybe #ITZLIDDAT LOL. =3= I will post it anyway, Mr. Dennis look cool here. Hahaha.

Before going back, leave my trace on the message board. :P

"Dougy W.W, Great TED!"

A final picture of us in TEDxKL2014 before heading home!

See you again C.C.C.

I had a great experience attending the TEDxKL 2014 and I am looking forward for TEDxKL 2015. Great Job! :D 

Click here to see my published post about TEDxKL 2014 in MilkADeal's blog! :D
Till next time!

"Who are they to judge, when you put yourself in the shoes of the great, 
to become greater" - Dennis Lau

- See you when I see you -

- Dougy W.W -

You Might Also Like

0 comments